Sunday, April 5, 2015

First 2015 Update

March 1 2015

Dear Friends and Family,

I have a lot of catching up to do.  I have had a very challenging season.  On January 3, 2015 while underway near the West Coast of Hawaii Island, the Hawaii Aloha was hit by a rogue wave and capsized.  Four of us were able to get into the life raft and were later rescued.   Our dear friend and crewmember Aaron Bremner was never found.  The ship rolled over completely two times before we were able to get into the life raft.  We think it rolled at least one more time before it washed up on a beach near the Four Seasons Resort.  It was a total loss.

I was seriously banged up and bruised, but no broken bones.  I had one big laceration on the side of my knee, which became infected and landed me back in the hospital for four days after my initial discharge from the Emergency Room. 

I am so thankful for all of the prayers and words of encouragement I received.  I have never experienced anything like that, both in the tragic loss and the outpouring of love and support.  Recovery has been slow, but steady.  When I was in the life raft, I kept thinking,  “I want to see my family.  I want to be with my kids.”   I spent ten days in Eugene Oregon with my daughter and her family.  My granddaughters bring so much joy!  I am on my way now to visit my brother, my son and more friends.

 YWAM Ships Kona truly gave me the love and protection of a family.  You can read more about what happened and see many of the wonderful tributes to Aaron at www.ywamships.net .  We are moving forward and I believe we will have even more ships.  We had an amazing year in 2014 bringing hope to some of the remote islands in Micronesia.  There are so many more people to reach. For the short term I will be working with Fleet Support, helping to put more systems in place to be prepared for our new ships. 

I will get more photos and stories from the School of Navigation and Seamanship posted on my blog www.sailorann.blogspot.com.  Thank you so much for all of your prayers and support. Please continue to pray for the crew and YWAM Ships.  I would love to hear from you.
Aloha,
Captain Ann








No comments: