Sunday, September 17, 2017

Theology of Vocation Sept 2017

 Theology of Vocation Sept 2017
U of N Workshop  San Jose, Costa Rica

A friend asked me to explain the Theology of Vocation in a “nutshell”.   In simplest terms: with God there is no separation between sacred and secular.  The Highest Calling for all Christians is our personal relationship with God.  

Maureen Menard summarizes Skye Jethani’s teaching like this:

The Highest Calling is communion with God the Father, through Jesus, by the Holy Spirit.  It is from this relationship alone we are to dray our value and significance.

The Common Calling is to live out the commands of Scripture.  All Christians are called to share the Gospel, to love our neighbor, to be generous, to show Compassion, and so on.

The Specific Calling is to respond to the particular leading of the Holy Spirit in each area of life.

This teaching has given me language to express the journey I have been on since “the Accident” on January 3, 2015, when we lost a crew member Aaron Bremner and the sailing vessel Hawaii Aloha.

That event was a restart for me.  Recovery was and still is a process.  The most important lesson I have learned is how much God loves me.  I often feel compelled by Holy Spirit to share my story, especially how if God loves me that much he loves you that much too.  No matter what you have done. 

My Specific Calling is to train Mariners.  While the skills are important, the most important thing I can do is encourage others to pursue their Highest Calling.




No comments: